Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Seymour.

am 
exhausted. 

Ya know, I don't remember the last time I wasn't even a little bit tired.
That's pretty sad.
I stay tired because I don't sleep.
I stay up ridiculously late most nights for no other purpose than to be awake.
Know why?
I'm afraid to go to sleep; I'm afraid I'll miss something.


Now, isn't that the silliest thing you've ever heard?

What could I possibly miss during those late hours
besides a few reruns of The George Lopez Show on Nick @ Nite
or the exhilarating sound of my fan whipping through the air
or...
Yep. That's all I got.

Doesn't sound too exciting, huh?
Nonetheless, every night I keep my eyes anxiously peeled until my thin little eyelids seem, at the very least, to weigh tons and I finally yield to my body's insistence upon rest.

Why is this so hard for me?
Well, I think it all goes back to a much bigger issue.
In the deeply profound words of Steven Tyler, I don't want to miss a thing.
I want to see it all, taste it all, do it all (more on that coming in a later post).
I'm so afraid of missing something life-changing that I won't even let myself sleep at night!

My hometown is so small that when people would describe it to non-residents they'd say,
Don't blink or you'll miss it.
I think I live with that attitude toward life.
Afraid to blink.
Afraid to miss it.

Now, I know what you're thinking.
Keri, you can't just not sleep at night. That's not healthy.
And you're right. (Hate when that happens.)



You'll be happy to know then, for the sake of my well-being, I have made a resolution to sleep at night,
even if I have to force myself.
Or worse,
even if I have to ask others to force me.
(So be sure when you see me to ask how many hours of sleep I got the night before.)

And to make up for all of the “lost” time that I spend sleeping?
Adventure Days.
Intentionally setting aside one day of my week to feed my appetite for more.
To go places I haven't been.
To do things I haven't done.
To experience the world in a new way.


My eyes,
My ears,
My taste buds,




 ..they're all open windows in which the beauty of this world breezes in with its freshness and newness, airing out the stale and stuffy air of my own world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe one day the thirst for adventure will get big enough to bring you to Colorado. :)